Monday, June 8, 2009

I think Tolerance is overrated.

Increasingly people are crying out for Tolerance, for understanding and respect between different beliefs. As the world comes together, cultures collide, different religions and opposing worldviews are realized.

Toleransi: Kesanggupan bertolak ansur, sabar dan mengawal diri bagi mengelakkan berlakunya pertelingkahan dan perselisihan faham demi kesejahteraan hidup.

That's from the SPM moral textbook.

For you people who don't understand BM, Tolerance is defined as the willingness to give-and-take, be patient and control oneself to avoid arguments, fights and conflict for the goodness of life.

Tolerance is also defined as the capacity of an organism to live in unfavorable environmental conditions.

This is why I think it's overrated. Anything I have to tolerate, would be basically something I don't like, something I don't agree with. It would be something unfavorable. And you know what? I don't like that. I want to either completely accept something, or completely condemn it. No wishy-washy gray areas and hating something on the inside, but tolerating it. Never compromise, never accept anything less than a 100 per cent.

When I look at the definition of tolerance in Malaysian textbooks, I see that they're asking us to shut up, lie down, and give in... To avoid conflict. To avoid the fight. Even when you're forced to live with unfavorable conditions, for the goodness of life, practice Tolerance, please.

Are you going to tolerate that?

.
.
.

Why are you so afraid of conflict? Why do you keep telling yourself to respect and tolerate the differing views and opinions of others? Do you keep wondering and worrying if you're really right? You back down and tell yourself that you avoided a pointless fight, but deep down, are you satisfied? You tell yourself you are.

If you really want to know if you're right, Fight. The winner is always right.

7 comments:

realhumangirl said...

There is power in a good argument. "Arguing correctly" and all that rot. I don't really fight though.

Isaac Ravi said...

Mmmm.. Yes yes, I know what you mean. But I don't think I'm quite on the same page as you.

Just cause you have a right to a fight, or a right to not tolerate something. Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should.. don't you think so?

What about meekness and gentleness?

Why does it always have to be about "I"? I don't like this, I Hate that, You piss me off, I don't have to tolerate this crap.I'm not going to shut up,lie down or give in.
Ooo..so defiant isn't it?

What about Peace and self control?Patience?

Its always NOW, I hate this NOW, I'm not waiting and I'm certainly not going to sit here "suffering" in these intolerable circumstances.

There's a difference between BEING WEAK and BEING STRONG, but meek. Its biblical, Look it up. Jesus was an expert at restraint.

Pork Bun Man said...

Really? I don't think Jesus tolerated anything at all.

He either completely accepted something, or completely condemned it.

Jared said...

Tolerance DOES have its place. I'm just saying its overrated, because some things have to be tolerated, things you can't change.

I didn't say anything about NOW, actually.

And I didn't say anything about how to fight. I guess I should have. Sometimes, fighting for what's right requires patience, gentleness, meekness... And fighting definitely ALWAYS requires self control.

The bible doesn't teach tolerance. Jesus taught us to have love, patience, understanding, gentleness, tenderness. But when we see something wrong, are we just going to..tolerate it?

Jesus completely accepted us, but completely condemned the sin in us.

The problem is.. we don't know what's right all the time do we?

Isaac Ravi said...

haha.. I didn't bother reading your definition of what tolerance is. Never really understood tolerance to be that way anyway.

well yea, and by right He was supposed to make us pay for that sin. He condemned Sin, but he didn't make us pay for it. He paid for it.
That's not tolerance at all. its way more than tolerance. But you already knew that. =P

That is exactly the problem. Sometimes its just beyond us. Sometimes we can do something about it, but we don't know whats right from wrong. on top of that, we can't trust our own judgment of the matter cause we don't have that foresight that God has.
So, we do what we can. Led by the bible and our relationship with God.

Jared said...

Isaac, what did you understand tolerance to be then?

For me, tolerance is some halfway point, it's like I can't really accept this, I definitely don't love it, but I'm just going to let it be...

Jesus loved us, accepted us, but He couldn't accept our sinful ways, so He took it all upon himself. That sounds like Fighting to me.

Hahaha and this is what argument is for... It doesn't have to be angry... Its more like a discussion where we have opposing views. And by the end of the discussion, we'll come to an understanding of each other.

Isaac Ravi said...

oh..I forgot about this. um.. the way i see tolerance. Tolerance is an outward reaction.not an inward feeling. and yea, in a way it is half way. but its the kind of half way where there's progress being made.
like.. You can't stand everything about person A, but you know.. You should show love to person A. so you purpose to. and as you try, at first all you manage is to tolerate it. but its a progress.. it starts with tolerance then it moves on to what love really is. does that make sense? Tolerance is only a starting. and it should only be a starting. its not something to strive for. its something we can start with.the more I say, the less it seems to make sense.hahah