Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dear Dad

I've been becoming more like you. People always said I was like you, but this is the first time I am saying it myself. I'm becoming more like you.

But I don't even know you, all I know is what others tell me.

I'm not the same as the person they tell me you were, not exactly. But what if I am the same as the person you really were?

"There is no good father, that's the rule. Don't lay the blame on men but on the bond of paternity, which is rotten. To beget children, nothing better; to have them, what iniquity! Had my father lived, he would have lain on me at full length and would have crushed me. As luck had it, he died young. Amidst Aeneas and his fellows who carry their Anchises on their backs, I move from shore to shore, alone and hating those invisible begetters who bestraddle their sons all their life long. I left behind me a young man who did not have time to be my father. Was it a good thing or bad? I don't know. But I readily subscribe to the verdict of an eminent psychoanalyst: I have no Superego."
-
Jean-Paul Sartre.


Love,

Your Son.

4 comments:

realhumangirl said...

I loved that passage in Words as well. But in the words of another psychoanalyst, I have an Elektra complex.

Aaron Sim said...

you feel the irresistible desire to dress up in tight red spandex and deal out brutal vigilante justice?

realhumangirl said...

have you never heard of the Electra complex? or the original Greek Electra?

realhumangirl said...

oh, prawt. i spelled it wrongly. whatever. don't make fun of people's problems.