Monday, March 29, 2010

Altruism

1. Unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness.
2. Animal behavior. Instinctive behavior that is detrimental to the individual but favors the survival or spread of that individual's genes, as by benefiting its relatives.

Is humanity broken? So many of us do not instinctively behave altruistically, rather we have to purposefully set our mind to the task of performing "acts of love". Yesterday, I asked, 'How would I go about doing an act of love?' (It is my KG's homework for this week)

Cae Me who is not from Monash but somehow in my Monash CF KG, answered, 'Give way on the road, carry something heavy for someone, give a hug, say something nice; all these can be acts of love'

But I do these things everyday. Giving way on the road lessens jam, giving hugs and saying nice things makes people happy which makes things easier, carrying something heavy for someone saves time when that person is weak... It just makes sense to me, to do such things. It is certainly not altruism, because my motives are completely selfish, doing these things do benefit me greatly.

How can I be selfless? I do believe I have never done anything that I can't see being beneficial to me somehow sometime in the future...

Am I broken?

No comments: